Lips are the worst affected body part in winters due to the absence of oil glands in them. Cracking , peeling , darkening are some of the problems that most of us have to face when the temperature starts dropping .For some ,this problem isn’t just restricted to winters and have to deal with it round the year. Although delicate , lips too need some exfoliating to keep off dead skin which makes them look dull and dark. We have come up with some Do-It-Yourself lip scrubs and other tips that will help you all in keeping lips healthy and problem free J
Sugar + Honey lip scrub :
Honey Makes the texture of lips smooth and sugar cubes being a little hard and soft at the same time help in exfoliating lips without being too harsh on them.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of sugar with equal amount honey .
- Massage well for at least 10 -15 mins and wash off with water.
Rawa(semolina) + Milk cream lip scrub:
Rice flour (semolina) has soft granules which makes it a perfect ingredient for getting rid of dead , dry skin off the lips without being too hard on them whereas, milk cream moisturises them helping in keeping dryness at bay.
- Take ½ teaspoon of semolina(grinded husked wheat , read more here ) and mix it with equal amount of milk cream.
- Massage well for a minimum of 10-15 minutes , leave for a while and wash off with lukewarm water .
Glycerine + Lemon + Rice flour (semolina) lip scrub:
Lemon helps in lightening pigmented lips and reduce dark spots formed due to cracking and peeling while glycerine moisturizes them .
- Mix 1/4th teaspoon of glycerine with 1/4th teaspoon of lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of semolina.
- Massage well for 10-15 mins and wash off with lukewarm/normal water.
Rose water + Glycerine:
Mix rose water with glycerine and apply the mixture on lips.Leave it overnight to wake up to soft and healthy looking lips in the morning .
Petroleum jelly :
I know , I know , most of you might already know this but no article on lip care can be complete without mentioning this tip.Like most others , i swear by tinted lip balms but their low staying power isn’t sufficient to keep lips moisturised for a long time.This is when the tried and trusted bottle of petroleum jelly comes to my rescue.
I apply a very thick layer of petroleum jelly on lips at night before sleeping and massage them with water in the morning. The thick layer of jelly softens the dry layer of skin which easily comes off when rubbed with a little amount of water.This trick peels off dry skin layer from lips effortlessly.No pain.No tugging and pulling.No bleeding. Dollops of jelly and little water and your all set ! 😀
* Stay away from products having strong fragrances and lots of chemicals as they might darken or dry out lips , instead go for products having vitamin E as the key ingredient.
Happy winter 🙂